7 Jan 2020

HOW I READ A BOOK IN A WEEK

Last year I came across a brain expert, Jim Kwik, and I learnt some pretty amazing stuffs from him of which one is how to read a book a week. And knowing that it's what highly successful do (some read more than that!), I've just got to try it out.

  1. Know your reading speed.
You can do this manually or on the internet(follow this link).
To do it manually, time yourself and read for 60secs, count the number of lines you read to get lines per minute
Then multiply your lines per minute with the average number of words per line.
For example, in 60secs, I read 27 lines
My lines per minute is 27
The average number of words per line is 15
So to get my words per minute (WPM): 27× 13 = 351
That is my words per minute is 351.

2. Based on your reading speed, determine the minute per day you need to finish the book.
a) Find out the number of words in the book(you can get this on the internet)  and divide by your words per minute
E.g if the number of words in the book is 64,000
64,000/351 ~ 183 minutes to finish the book
b) 183/7 ~ 26minutes per day to finish the book

Alternative, is to divide the pages of the book by 7
If the book has 246 pages, you'll need to read 36 pages everyday
So the first day, you can time yourself to see how long it took you to read that number of pages.

3. Schedule your reading
It can be at once, or sectioned throughout the day.
This is important for discipline.

4. Increase your reading speed by
a) using a visual pacer
b) being focused, avoiding distractions
c) read fast
d) learning how to read (the last time we learnt how to read was in kindergarten). Reading is a skill that should be learnt continuously, it's different from cramming which is what most of us know how to do.

Challenge yourself to finish a book next week.
Don't forget to use the hashtag #1book1week and tag @myqarabookclub

Thanks for your comments. Love it
Comment below the most you've read in a month.

2 comments:

Never Have I Ever

I’m going to confess, it’s been a long while I came here and personally, I don’t feel good about it; so, to pacify everyone, I decided to co...